Monday, July 18, 2011

The Unschooling Has Already Begun

(I mean "unschooling" in the original sense, where learning doesn't have to mimic school.)

My kid loves explanations, so I explain everything.  My kid loves words, so I use big words all the time.  This morning she learned the words "parallel" and "pentagon" just in the natural course of play.  By the time she's six, this kid is going to have a bigger vocabulary than the first-grade teacher.  And while it's unlikely that she'll know "more" (i.e. more total) than the teacher, she is certain to know a lot of stuff that the teacher doesn't -- or worse, that the teacher is mistaken about. 

So tell me again why I should send my kid to school?

1 comment:

  1. Unschooling philosophy is based in part on the belief that children are naturally curious and inquisitive. Children want to learn and do better when allowed to explore their own curiosity.

    Nice and Cool comments on it.
    Thanks for submit comments to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete