Friday, July 15, 2011

Exercise Equipment

I've given in and admitted that I need to exercise indoors, under climate controlled conditions.  Also crucial is that I not have to travel to get my exercise.

(Go to all the trouble to get to the gym?  I'm exhausted by the time I get there.  I can't believe how many people who hear about my health problems say "You should swim!"  Are you kidding me?  Travel to a pool, navigate through the locker room maze, change clothes, get to the pool, get cold, exercise, get out, strip off wet bathing suit, deal with wet hair, get dressed, package up wet stuff, travel back to home or work.  What's wrong with this list?  (Having said this, I know someone with lupus who swears by water aerobics, so it's all individual.))

So I ponied up the $$$ for a second piece of indoor exericise equiment.  My recumbent bike has been joined by a treadmill, which is such a massive space-hog it makes the bike look positively petite.

What made this decision so hard is that I have a deeply frugal soul.  Why pay for gym fees, or home equipment, when I can put on my running shoes and step out the door?  Lovely outdoor space is literally right outside my door.  I've spent much of my life with this have-fun-roughing-it-and-saving-money philosophy.  Hard to give that up.

But I eventually realized that the result was . . . not exercising.  I'll exercise today, oh wait it's too cold out and cold makes my bones ache.  I'll exercise today, oh wait the fog burned off and now it's hot and I get sun rash.

The indoor bike helped, but only gave me about half the exercise opportunity I need.  I need to rotate my exercises, otherwise I get joint problems.  Also, I get bored.

So hooray for my new treadmill, and my new commitment to spending beautiful sunny days indoors with the lights on and the electric exercise equipment running.  Whatever works.

No comments:

Post a Comment