Friday, July 22, 2011

Dinner

I've decided the hardest part of single parenthood is dinner.

Single people are lazy and spoiled about meals.  We don't have to consult anyone else's preferences or sense of propriety.  Fried egg sandwich eaten in front of the computer at 5:00 p.m.?  Random things dipped in hummus eaten in front of a movie at 8:30 p.m.?  That same kind of burrito from that same burrito place again?  No problem. 

Now suddenly I have to plan healthy and interesting dinners for an impressionable young person.  I think I might also be obliged to teach her to eat sitting at a table, I'm not sure, I'll have to check my contract.

Every night I think, I have to plan dinner again?  Didn't I just plan dinner yesterday?

I did pretty well last night on the spur of the moment: artichokes, yellow cherry tomatoes, chicken legs from the deli counter.  My 3 year old can go through an entire large artichoke and then lobby for part of mine.  (Not a chance, kid!)

Now what the hell am I going to do for dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment